Friday, May 8, 2009

illustration friday - Parade

"Pyrex bowls on parade"
I created this collage for Illustration Friday this morning. It started with the pyrex bowls and slowly became a homage to my grandmother, Hilda Gable. The quilted piece in the background was made by her. While creating this piece, i began thinking about her life as a homemaker - tending to the duties of the house, cooking and cleaning but also making her home a lovely place with a garden and handmade quilts and other crafty things she would create - like papercut lampshades and collaged jewery boxes.

So as I was working, I incorporated the quilted panel she made then filled the bowls with gladiolas which she may have grown in her flower garden. I am sure she owned a set of pyrex bowls - everyone did in the 50's and 60's didn't they?

anyway - i hope you enjoy this collage. i will offer prints for sale in my etsy shop.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Hilda Gable is a lovely name! It sounds like someone from a movie.

Karen said...

What an original idea! I love exactly these pyrex bowls - grew up with the large yellow one. Today I have a favorite dark orange middle sized pyrex bowl that I bought at a flea market in Belgium for just a few cents. What luck :-)

NANCY LEFKO said...

great piece....who doesn't love Pyrex bowls !!! awesome.....